Saturday, February 07, 2004

Funeral

I went to Kathy's funeral this morning. It was a very religious ceremony, which generally makes me feel, to borrow a trite phrase, like a fish out of water. I've attended so few religious services in my life that it feels very awkward. Of course, I respect other people's customs and traditions. I thought it was a beautiful church and the area where the reception was held was structurally very interesting. It would have, however, been nice to reflect more on Kathy and her life. A bunch of her friends did perform a Scottish dance and International Dance, in honor of Kathy. I haven't been to many funerals, thank goodness, but this was the first time that I had seen someone play bagpipes at a funeral service. I'm not sure there's a more appropriate mournful and yet beautiful sound than what bagpipes provide.

No comments:

Post a Comment