Tuesday, July 27, 2004

I finally have cable!

After a long and valiant two month struggle, I now have cable. I have digital cable and a DVR with my grandmother's twelve inch television. That might seem like overkill, because it is. I'm still planning on getting something larger as soon as I can. For now, it's still pretty wild having television after not having one for almost two months. Now I'm really going to have to get wireless working so I can use the computer while viewing the television instead of from the guest room. I do, however, think that the guest room is a fantastic place to work. I worked from home today, since I knew that the cable guys would be here between 1pm and 5pm. They arrived about 4pm, after they experienced great difficulties finding my house. Not long after their arrival, we had a strong thunderstorm with lots of lightning. Apparently, they only abort a mission during a thundertstorm if they have to climb a pole. One of the poor guys had only been working for Time Warner for two weeks. It took them about an hour and it rained almost the entire time.

One interesting thing about the DVR is that they didn't have a manual for it. I'm going to have to look for one on the web, although I'm sure I can figure most of it out just by playing with it. It's made by Scientific Atlanta and the model is Explorer 8000, so I can find more about it there. So, this DVR, which also operates as my cable box, won't work with HD. Once I get an HD television, I have to call them and get them to switch it. I wonder how long that will take. At least it doesn't cost anything extra.

Yesterday, EB and MP came over to see the house. It was fun finally getting to show it to them. Afterwards, my parents and I went to Casa Ibara. Once I got back, I did some work while listening to the Democratic National Convention. Last night, my dad brought over the twelve inch television with rabbit ears and I've had the convention on quite a bit since, with the exception of the work day, today. I thought Bill Clinton's speach was quite good last night. My mom has Carter's and Gore's speaches TiVoed for me. Now I can record my own! It's time for Dean. It's time to go watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment