Saturday, November 10, 2007

Nighttime Tour of Durham

I recently wrote about driving co-workers around Durham as part of a planned tour. Well, tonight, I took an unplanned tour of Durham. I was leaving a party and somehow I managed to end up on a different road from the one I had intended to take. I'm fairly talented when it comes to that sort of thing.

It wasn't too long until I found myself in downtown, driving by some of the same sites that we visited less than a week ago. I was driving down some of the same streets on maps I had studied thoroughly, but apparently not thoroughly enough. I saw the street that went by the American Tobacco Campus, Corcoran, which becomes Blackwell. Unfortunately, from looking the map once I returned, it appears that I decided to turn in the opposite direction from the one that would have taken me there.

I actually, in many ways, like getting lost. I find my poor sense of direction to be highly entertaining and I'm comfortable enough with driving such that I don't panic and fear that I'm going to end up in Virginia, no matter how close I've come to that in the past. It's also a great way to learn to find one's way around. Eventually. Downtown Durham is also actually quite pretty at night with everything lit up and is worth seeing, even when one isn't somewhat lost.

Eventually, I looped around and, with some brilliant deductive reasoning, figured that if I turned on E Chapel Hill Street, going west, I might end up on W Chapel Hill Street, so I could get on 147.
That worked out beautifully. Imagine that.

No comments:

Post a Comment