Saturday, November 17, 2007

Durham Bloggers Meetup

On Wednesday I attended a Durham Bloggers Meetup, which was associated with the BlogTogether community. There I met Anton, author of Mistersugar, and Bora Zivkovic, author of A Blog Around the Clock. They are both organizing the the annual North Carolina Science Blogging Conference, which will be held on January 19, 2008, in RTP. I ended up spending most of the time having a comparatively lengthy conversation with the one blogger I already knew, Kevin.

The meetup took place at Wine Authorities, near its magical enomatic machine. From what I observed, it's slightly challenging to get the hang of it, but the idea is that you put money on your card at the register and then use it on the machine to buy wine by the ounce, glass or full-glass. For various reasons, I don't drink alcohol, except for the occasional sip for mentally cataloging flavors, but it seems like a great idea, for wine aficionados, those who want to learn more about wine and those who like the ability to pick a wine by choosing a random number. They also have some coffee and chocolate for sale. The bars of chocolate only differ in the farms on which the cacao was grown. I'm just not quite sure what to think of that potential for snobbery yet, but perhaps I'll be enlightened when or if I taste chocolate from a second farm.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:27 PM

    Bummer. So sorry to miss this one, especially with the Enomatic and all. Hopefully we'll get to catch up in the near future!

    ReplyDelete