Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Shiki Sushi

Last night I went to Shiki Sushi with a bunch of people. I'd never been there before and I'd heard good things about it, so I was very eager to go. I was very pleased. They have a huge roll menu and a nice selection of nigiri. At first glance, their prices look more expensive than most, but they have a 2 for 1 deal where they subtract the cheapest rolls from your bill, so it's a little confusing.

They had several things that I haven't seen offered by other sushi places in Durham, such as sea-water eel, but for my first visit I wanted to stick to things with which I was familiar so I could evaluate the quality more easily. I tend to start judging a sushi restaurant by its mackerel. It shouldn't be too dry or too pickled, in my opinion, but this mackerel was excellent. I chose a House Roll, which had crab and shrimp tempura and that was good. The proportion of fish to rice on the nigiri was high, too.

We also had exceptionally good service. Our beverages were refilled before we even thought about drinking them and the mass confusion from our paying with dozens of credit cards (ok, maybe 5) and pile of cash was handled extremely well.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:35 PM

    Enjoyed the gorgeous photos of your Shiki Sushi fare. The last time I went, I was amazed at how much fancier the ambiance was than before - not the strip-mall feel it used to have.

    Our service was excellent. A disappointment to us, however, was the very limited vegetarian offerings. All of the soups had meat or fish base, at least according to our server.

    --Lisa S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:40 PM

    This place sucks flat out!!! Since when do Mexicans make sushi? No wonder the fish is not fresh and the sushi looks "NASTY"! Everything I was served was the opposite there. The sake was warm to almost cold since it has probably been sitting there and the sushi was hot perhaps from sitting in the waiting area and was served to our table after it was made. Terrible, terrible, terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:46 PM

    This restaurant is a rip off!!! Buy one get one free is a scam. They serve either spoiled and cheap goods they buy or reused items to make up for the buy one get one free. There's no free ride, remember that. What you pay is what you get. I've been in this industry for 30 yrs and I know when something doesn't feel right.

    Sammy D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two anonymous comments within 5 minutes on something posted 3 month ago. It certainly contributes to my skepticism, but you never know.

    ReplyDelete