Friday, April 08, 2005

Bobby McFerrin

Last night, my parents and I went to see Bobby McFerrin at Duke's Page Auditorium. He is just an incredibly talented performer and vocalist. He is a master of commanding audience participation and I recommend that you go see him performance if you ever have the opportunity. I actually saw him at the same location (Artist's Series) five or six years ago. This time he was joined for part of the performance by the Durham Children's Choir, which I thought was pretty impressive given that the kids had only been performing together for a year and appeared to be quite young. Some of McFerrin's routines had to be exhausting, so I would imagine that performing with the kids would provide a needed break. He invited people to join him on stage several times, to do improv dancing and sing. He is capable of singing the notes of Bach's Preludes as well as a Cliffs notes performance of the Wizard of Oz. In addition to sheer musical talent, and the ability to sound like a entire band, it's obvious that he has an excellent sense of humor, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment