Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Google Earth Evangelfish

I've been taking care of Google Earth Evangelist's Siamese Fighting Fish (Betta splendens) while she's been attending a conference. It's nice having a little company on my desk, especially since he's so quiet.
Eventually, I decided that he would be more comfortable near the warm vent of my laptop, since bettas prefer 80F waters, but I doubt it makes much difference at all. It just makes me feel like a more thoughtful guardian. Plus, I think he may be mildly entertained by windows on my laptop monitor, which is pretty amazing since he doesn't even drink coffee.

2 comments:

  1. That fish is a really good faker. Almost every time I walk by the cube he normally lives in, I think he's dead. I only ever actually see him move, it seems, when GE Evangelist is around (although we may have to call her Twitter Evangelist now). I wonder if he'll turn a flip when she returns? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean. When he first did that, it really worried me. I think he's actually more active next to my laptop, though. When he plays dead, it's always closest to the laptop vent. Sometimes he's quite perky, particularly when he thinks he might be fed. He's just a dog with fins.

    ReplyDelete