Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Cafe Zen - Rice Is Beautiful


Now I've become obsessed with white balance. Isn't the color of the rice just beautiful? It doesn't even look as if it has saffron in it. This is an order of penang curry with tofu, from Cafe Zen. It was actually one of the best non-sushi dishes I've had there.


A few weeks ago, I had an order of yakimeshi with pork, photographed with my old camera settings. Look how brown it is. OK, it's fried rice, so that's really not a fair comparison. It was very good, too, but not as flavorful as the penang curry.

I do think it's a great place to go for sushi in Durham, second only to Kurama. I'm just usually too lazy to eat non-supermarket sushi at lunchtime, since the pieces are generally larger. Also, at Cafe Zen, if you order sushi off the dinner menu at lunch, then it may take prohibitively long to get your food. I'm also told that they have an excellent sake selection. From the sip or two I've had of their cold-unfiltered sake, I would have to agree.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:56 AM

    Don't forget Sushi Yoshi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny -- I've been to Yoshi twice, and had outright bad sushi there both times. (Not spoiled, just, well, not very good.)

    I ended up eating at Yamazushi at Woodcroft in December. It had changed ownership since I last went there, when it was perfectly fine, but this time it was really very good. As in, getting up close to Akai Hana levels.

    ReplyDelete