Saturday, January 26, 2008

Blu Blogging - Raw Oysters

Last night, I finally tried the raw oysters at Blu Seafood & Bar. They were "Blue Point" oysters, which apparently means that they were one of any number of varieties found in the Atlantic. I don't know much about raw oysters, but I know that I like them and have liked them ever since I first ate them when I was a little kid, visiting New Jersey. Last night they were served with a sweet red horseradish sauce and a vinegar based sauce. I always prefer adding plain lemon juice instead.

On Tuesday nights, Blu now has a half-price special on raw oysters. They are $8 per dozen for the Gulf Coast oysters and $13 per dozen for the "cool-water" ones. You can get them by the half-dozen, too.

I think there is something slightly addictive about eating raw oysters. Does anyone else agree?

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:11 PM

    "I think there is something slightly addictive about eating raw oysters. Does anyone else agree?"

    No. They might be tasty, but I can't really deal with raw mollusks.

    I like sushi/sashimi and cooked mussels, but that's about as far as I can go on the glibbery scale without starting to get the heebeejeebies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:12 PM

    Oh ya, I was going to ask: do you go to the Friday viz. forums regularly?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I most certainly do. :) If there's an opportunity for me to learn something and get free food at the same time, it's hard to keep me away.

    Are you also a regular?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:46 AM

    yep. CS grad student == free food seeker. :)

    I was a little disappointed that the ratio of demo/exposition was not higher last week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aha! I think I know who you are now. :)

    I do agree, Gary's pacing was a bit off, but I thought the last five minutes were spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't care for raw oysters, but I have to say, those look scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:02 PM

    Oh yeah...oysters definitely get me going. We had a oyster photo shoot in our office this week in preparation for our Valentine's day specials. Oysters and champagne turned us into a giddy bunch. did you know that they are very easy to open? I didn't until I learned this summer. Check out http://www.marxfoods.com and click on the bottom left for some great mignonette recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your link, Justin. It sounds as if you have an ideal work environment to me. :)

    ReplyDelete