Thursday, January 01, 2009

Taverna Nikos Blogging : New Year's Eve

The Most Faithful Readers and I celebrated the new year early last night, at Taverna Nikos. They had some spectacular specials and I'd been drooling just at the thought of them for weeks.
My 2nd MFR and I started out by sharing a bowl of lobster bisque. It was absolutely full of small pieces of lobster. It was extremely good.

For his entree, my 2nd MFR had a half lobster, which had been cooked in tomatoes, herbs, red wine and brandy and was served with linguine. The few pieces I tried were delicious. My MFR, of course, had her traditional serving of calamari.

I had the slow roasted black pepper and honey encrusted duck breast in a sun dried fig and Mavrodaphne port wine sauce with chestnut risotto, cauliflower, zucchini, carrots and broccoli. I love duck and it's even better combined with slices of fig. The duck and its accoutrements were simply perfect.

Finally, we tried the Galaktoboureko, which was a subtlely-flavored lemon custard, topped with layers phyllo pastry on the top and bottom. I liked it, but I still like the bougatsa, the banana-filled pastry, the best.

We left many hours too early to see the belly dancing and participate in the champagne toast, but I'm sure it was a fun and memorable party. Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment