Sunday, August 24, 2008

Teeny Little Lizard In Carrboro

I know most of you come here to read about food and I was planning to write about food tonight, but I actually get a lot more excited about random encounters with wildlife. So, when I parked in my usual parking space at ACME Food & Beverage Co. this evening and looked out my driver's side window at the scene above, I immediately exclaimed to my 2nd Most Faithful Reader, "Give me your camera! Quick!"

I saw the cutest, most adorable and teeniest lizard that I'd seen all day and perhaps this year. It was so tiny and I'm lucky that I saw the little guy on this post. I think it was an anole, possibly a brown form of Carolina or green anole, Anolis carolinensis. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong, since there are apparently over 400 species of Anolis in the genus.

It hopped over to the fence and my 2nd Most Faithful Reader got a closer look from outside the van. As soon as he hit the button to snap the picture, it was gone.

UPDATE: I asked Jeff Pippen and he confirmed my identification.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:14 AM

    Oh, I miss lizards. They were everywhere on Hilton Head. My cats were always chasing them (not sure how they snuck into the house). I didn't realize they roamed around here.

    ReplyDelete