Saturday, June 14, 2008

Coconut Lime Sorbet

Last night, I made coconut lime sorbet, by modifying this recipe.

Since I only had unsweetened coconut milk, I added 3/4 of a cup of sugar to 1 cup of water and stirred it while bringing it to a boil. I let it boil for 2 minutes without stirring and then took it off the stove to cool.

I juiced 5 or 6 limes for 1/2 a cup of lime juice.

I opened my 13.5 oz. can of Thai unsweetened coconut milk. I wasn't sure what to expect when I opened the can, but it doesn't smell anything like the overly-processed sweetened-shredded coconut that goes in my macaroons.

Finally, I combined all three liquids and put the mixture in the sorbet maker for about 25 minutes. I put it in the freezer overnight and tried it. Actually, I ate what didn't go in the freezer and that was quite good already, so I was optimistic about the finished product. I tried it tonight with my Most Faithful Guinea Pigs and we all seemed to enjoy it. The combination is a little unusual, but I liked it. I was pleased that I didn't make it too sweet and it also wasn't too sour. It makes me eager to try a pineapple version once I get a blender.

No comments:

Post a Comment