Thursday, September 01, 2005

Katrina Aftermath

Hurricane Katrina resulted in a disaster, as I imaged while writing my previous post, but it played in a way that I never imagined. I certainly envisioned destruction and flooding, even levee brakes. What I did not imagine, however, was the slow response from the government. Some readers know about how little faith I have the current administration, but I honestly had no idea how much that would be a factor in this kind of situation. I suspect that almost everyone, from all political viewpoints, is shocked. I expected several people to be starving or dehydrated, but I only thought those would be ones trapped in attics or under derbis with no way to get out. That's how it was when Hurricane Floyd flooded eastern North Carolina. There may be similar cases, but we also have to be worried about the thousands of starving, sick and dying in full view. I don't think anyone could have imagined that.

I've been spending a lot of time watching CNN. Even they, who generally broadcast with a heavy conservative slant, seem angry. I guess it takes a something like this to achieve bipartisan support for the poor. Unfortunately, unless something is actually done to save these people, sentiment is not enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment