Saturday, March 12, 2005

Oishii

It's been quite a while since I posted. I hadn't quite realized until tonight just how long it's been. Perhaps noticing that it's almost 10:30 and there haven't been any hits yet today has something to do with it. My mom isn't even checking anymore!

Part of the reason I haven't posted is because I've been working quite late most nights. I often don't feel like writing if I'm just having dinner and getting to bed. There's not a tremendous amount to write about in that case, either.

I did have a good weekend last week, however. On Saturday, my parents and I went to a "new" Japanese restaurant, Oishii, at Timberlyne Shopping Center in Chapel Hill. I had been over to my parents' house earlier in the week and read the newspaper. I checked the What's Up section of the News and Observer and saw some of the restaurants that Greg Cox had reviewed since I moved. I really don't have an excuse for not keeping track since his columns are available online. In any case, he gave Oishii three stars and they have sushi. I was very excited about this possibility, since it's about ten minutes closer than Kurama. I ordered an Oishii Roll, which is primarily lobster and caviar. It was very good and gigantic, but all the toppings kind of overwhelm the lobster. The rest of the nigiri pieces that I ordered were excellent, in addition to the eel and avacado Dragon Roll that I shared with my mom. I ended up having to share a lot with my dad, because the portions were so generous.

On Sunday, I went over to GM's apartment. GM and AE made brownies from Ghirardelli brownie mix and JH came over and watched Sleepy Hollow with us. So far I've enjoyed every Johnny Depp movie that I've seen. It was suspenseful and even funny, particularly Depp's facial expressions. The brownies were really wonderful and I'm pretty snobbish about using baking mixes. Afterwards, AE and GM came over to my house and GM made spaghetti sauce with canned tomatoes, olives, garlic, mushrooms with pork sausage meatballs. It was very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment