Saturday, March 12, 2005

House Invaders

Thursday night, I hosted a faculty recruiting reception for the Duke Computer Science department at my house. Basically, each of the recruits that have been invited to interview and present their research are invited to a party at the house of one of the faculty members. Ordinarily, my parents would host it at their house, but my house is much more suited for parties, with the large great room. Plus, FIFO's social skills aren't ready for prime time. I took the day off, so I could spend the day cleaning. Things have been hectic at work, so it was nice to have a break even though preparing for the reception was work in itself.

My mom bought all kinds of great food from several different stores. She even found some wonderful frozen spanakopita from Sam's Club that were even good when I microwaved them at work to heat them a second time. We had cheeses and nuts, food from Neomonde, chips, fruit, mints, and shrimp. My fridge is full of leftovers.

It was a lot of fun having a hoard of faculty, grad students and, of course, the recruit invade. I really enjoyed talking to some of the people I hadn't seen in quite as well as well as people I hadn't met before. So many people got to see my house that had been eager to see it. People really seemed to like my paintings, too, which was cool.

Believe it or not, no wine (red or white) was spilled on my carpet. In fact, no beverages have spilled on it since I moved in. They've finally come out with a scotch guard that alters the laws of gravity.

Today I started washing the dishes, although I've barely made a dent in them. Part of the reason for this is because it was the Semifinals of the ACC basketball tournament. I managed to catch the last 11 seconds of Georgia Tech's beating UNC. My parents came over and we watched Duke win against NC State. I guess I know what I'll be doing tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment