Friday, July 18, 2008

Rockwood Filling Station

I just had to try out Rockwood Filling Station tonight and I was by no means disappointed. They offer a wide variety of personal-sized pizza, sandwiches, salads and appetizers. Their house (pre-configured) pizzas ranged from $8 to $10 and that's what we tried tonight.

It does appear that they are still ironing out some wrinkles here and there, but they are somewhat minor. For example, my Most Faithful Reader ordered the White Pie, with ricotta, spinach, caramelized onions and fontina, but it didn't come with any caramelized onions. Our extremely apologetic waiter said that it's possible that someone ordered it without onions and he got the wrong one. That at least tells me that they do accept substitutions.

My 2nd MFR had the Ham and Egg pizza, with tomato, ham, egg, fontina and basil. He said it was very good, but it was challenging to cut it. All of the pizzas arrived at our table unsliced. I'm lazy, so I certainly wouldn't mind having them pre-sliced. On the other hand, I'm kind of glad I got to photograph them unsliced, but that isn't a normal consideration. According to their menu, the will slice it if you ask, so you might want to keep that in mind.

I chose the Anchovy pizza, which was simply wonderful. It came with tomato, anchovies, caramelized onions, olives and roasted red peppers. According to the menu, it wasn't supposed to have peppers and I don't particularly like them, but I managed to avoid them for the most part. Actually, now that I'm looking at the menu again, it doesn't mention that it has cheese on it either, but that was really good. I've recently started being fonder of olives. I wouldn't eat them for years, but these whole (pitted) ones were excellent. Best of all, they didn't skimp on the anchovies!

For dessert, we each tried the housemade ice cream, with homemade pizzelle cookies. My Most Faithful Reader had the Bailey's Coffee Crunch, which was good. She was not eager to share, which should give you some indication as to the quality of the dessert.

My 2nd Most Faithful Reader ordered the peach-mint sorbet, which I ended up confiscating. Note that all of the desserts were served with a couple of blackberries.

I ordered the chocolate mint chip, which was good, but the mint was extremely strong. I usually like overhwhelming flavors, but this was a little much for me tonight. Fortunately my 2nd MFR liked it better than his peach-mint sorbet (although he did like that) and I happily traded with him.

Overall, I was thrilled with my meal. They also do takeout and due to their limited parking, I'm imagining that this will be the most practical option for us. Now that I've discovered the Anchovy pizza, I'm not convinced I will want to stray, but you never know. I'm eager to try their calamari and their milkshakes. Creating my own pizza with all their eclectic options sounds as if it will be fun, too.

You can already check out other reviews at Delicious Durham, Bull City Rising, Carpe Durham and Eat at Joe's.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you mentioned Rockwood Filling Station since I hadn't heard of the new one before (we went to the old one years ago). Recently, we got pizza at the new one and loved it!

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete