Saturday, May 21, 2005

May the Mass Multiplied by the Acceleration Be With You

My memories of Monday and Tuesday seem to have winked out of existence. Fortunately, the rest of the week has been salvaged.

Wednesday night.. wait.. Tuesday is coming back. Tuesday night, my parents came over and watched Sweet Home Alabama with me. We'd seen part of it on television and wanted to actually rent the whole thing. It was fairly entertaining.

Wednesday night, I made two batches of brownies for a meeting the following day. It is supposed to be a brief bi-weekly meetingfor all of my boss's boss's organization, but not all of the people show up for it. This is really surprising, considering that there is free food involved. These people have been out of college for too long, I guess. The drizzling of the semi-sweet chocolate worked much better than it did when I tried using melted chocolate chips. It worked especially well for the batch with nuts, since I looked on the inside of the box at the microwave melting instructions and saw that I was supposed to stir it every thirty seconds. I was too lazy to look at the instructions for the batch without nuts. While my drizzles were not the beautiful diagnoal lines featured on the box of Baker's chocolate, they did resemble, according to GM, crop circles and embryos. I call that success.

RD came over Thursday night. I finally got to show him my house and it was great having a very lengthy conversation with him after many years. I used to spend a lot of time talking to him in his office when I was in college. He actually has more candy in his office than I do in mine.

On Friday, I suggested to GM and AE that we might want to order our Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith tickets in advance. Instead of ordering them immediately I waited for their reply and I actually didn't get back to my personal mail for a couple of hours. At that point, I looked at movietickets.com and saw that they had sold out of the 3:45 showing, which is the time we had planned to go. I wrote to GM and AE and pointed out the tragedy. They had already purchased their tickets. I was distraught. AE even offered me her ticket. I later looked at the website again, to see how many other showings had sold out since then. Then, it finally dawned on me.

I had been looking at the wrong day.

If you've been reading my blog for a while, or even if you haven't, you have probably gathered than I am a flake. Well, you are very perceptive.

On Friday night, my parents and I went to Taverna Nikos for dinner and as we were driving home, my mom called my dad and me on the ham radio saying that the light at Lawrence and 70 was out. Well, it turns out at the power was out in the whole area. It was wild coming home to a completely dark house. I guess this was the first lengthy power failure since I moved, almost a year ago. We still don't know what caused it. Unfortunately, my cool neato five LED flashlight from ThinkGeek is missing. I haven't the faintest idea where I misplaced it. Fortunately, I did know where my candles from GA were and the matches were in a box right next to them. Plus, my solar turtle, from CL, worked beautifully. There's nothing like useful house warming gifts.

The good thing is that I did get to go see the latest Star Wars today and I enjoyed it. The acting was only slightly better than the previous one, but all and all it was good. This one did not come across as a kids movie, by any means. Despite the fact that it had a lot of fighting and violence, it was not bloody. Most of the death was implied.

Afterwards, AE, GM and I went back to my house. We ordered pizzas from Papa John's and watched the first episode of the BBC miniseries of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I hadn't seen it since it was first shown in the US, so it's pretty wild seeing what I did and didn't remember. I had remembered the Vogons as looking completely different, for example. I'd remembered some of the actors as ones I'd seen in other British comedies. It was, however, quite good. I'm looking forward to seeing the other five episodes.

No comments:

Post a Comment