Monday, June 14, 2004

Weekend Program Activities

I had a great weekend!

I saw the movie, "Saved!" with JJ, JA and DS. It was one of the best comedies that I've seen in ages. It falls into the "I'd be happy to see it again" category and very few movies do. I heartily recommend it.

Afterwards, we went to Big Bowl and I had the same dish that I always have, the crispy orange peel shrimp. Ordering anything else is difficult even though I'd love to try several things on the menu. I also got the ginger soda and didn't like it nearly as much. I really enjoyed the vegetable potstickers again, though.

My washer and dryer were delivered Sunday morning. I haven't actually used them yet, but I need to do that soon. I'm pleased with how much space is left in the hallway. They don't take up nearly as much room as I thought they would. They are some of the new front loading ones, made by Frigidaire. Unlike most models, they don't have quite as fancy an exterior (the dryer doesn't have a window), but they cost a lot less, too.

Saturday night, my parents and I went to Margaret's Cantina. I had a vegetable plate with squash/corn/cheese things, tomato stuffed with tofu, saffron pickled cucumbers and clear (white grape) jello filled with blackberries, peaches and other fruit.
My mom had the monkfish, which really has the consistency of lobster. My dad had the traditional shrimp quesadillas, which are a delicious bargain. For dessert we shared cherry sorbet and angel food cake with lemon custard and blackberries. Wow! We were celebrating Father's Day, because I'll be busy this weekend. Actually, initially I had decided that it was this weekend.

Perhaps even more exciting was that I cooked a meal for my parents! I cooked butternut squash ravioli with a minced garlic butter sauce. I had to call JA and ask him how to make the sauce. He made this dish for me a while back, as I believe was recorded in an earlier blog post. It was a lot of fun although slightly more challenging than I imagined, since timing is so important. My mom provided verbal guidance, which definitely helped. The best thing is that it turned out very well and felt like a major accomplishment. Yes, folks, I, too, can boil water. I only made one three serving package, so we followed it with watermelon.

I also spent lots of time unpacking more of my grandmother's things. I loaded and ran the dishwasher a couple of times. I am now the proud owner of 39,275 small glass bowls.

No comments:

Post a Comment