Sunday, June 06, 2004

I am never going to own a microwave.

My dad and I went by Lowe's again yesterday. They still didn't have the GE JES1039WF. I could have ordered one on-line by now! Now that I look at the GE site, they don't have that model anymore, so maybe it's been discontinued. That could explain why it was so cheap.

For lunch on Friday, my parents and I went to the new Maple View Farms ice cream store near the new Walmart on 86, in Hillsborough. It's about 7 or 8 minutes from my house. Ideal. It's a lot closer than the original Maple View Farms dairy. I had a sundae with with honey almond ice cream, hot fudge, walnuts, pineapple, whipped cream and, of course, a marachino cherry.

Friday night, I cooked for the first time! Well, a long time ago, I baked a few things when my grandmother handed me the ingredients, but this was the first time I'd done the whole thing for myself. I made myself scrambled eggs with sharp cheddar cheese mixed in. I also added chives, thyme and parsley. I took photographs of the various stages and maybe I'll put them up here someday if I ever have time to check out hello. The important things were that it was quite edible and I didn't burn myself or burn my house down. The greatest difficulty was getting the canola oil bottle open. The pull top broke off twice, but my needle node pliers from my studio did the trick.

Saturday night, we went to Taverna Nikos for dinner. I had the linguinette with tomato basil sauce, feta and romano cheese. They've finished the renovations of Brightleaf Square, so it's convenient to go there again. The renovations look nice, although it's weird having the place change so much after over 20 years of shopping and dining there. There aren't a lot of open stores there and there weren't many people eating at Nikos, which worries me. We're going to have to eat there more often. Remember to support your local restaurants!

Afterwards, my dad and I went to Circuit City to look for microwaves and check out the televisions. It turns out that they quit selling appliances about four years ago. Obviously, I don't go shopping there or anywhere very often. That meant we were able to devote the entire visit to looking at the various sizes of Sony Grand WEGA HD-Ready Rear-Projection LCD TV, model KF50WE610. Regular readers of my blog may remember that I've been looking at this model for some time.
This was actually the first time I'd seen one in person. They are quite beautiful. Now I just have to get cable or satellite and figure out whether I want the 42" or the 50". Time Warner doesn't want to give me cable, apparently, because I live too far from the nearest cable box. Unfortunately, satellite isn't so easy either, because my house is surrounded by trees and the dish has to be within 100 feet of the house. It sounds as if I may have to look into getting a signal amplifier. I really thought these issues would go away, since I live much closer to the main road than my parents, but apparently not.

I also watched the defeat of Smarty Jones yesterday. It was sad, but that's the way it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment