Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Sounds from the Mystery Rodent




On Monday, a crew came out to cut down my dead oak tree. It was a very stressful experience. Originally, the plan was to remove some plants in my flower bed, they would drive their bucket truck into the yard and then they would cut the top out of the tree. They decided it would be easier if they took out a small tree and they would pull it into the woods. It probably made sense, because it's been a little hot to move plants and the tires in the soil probably wouldn't have been too good. They attached the ropes using this giant slingshot type tool, which would be great for puttting up antennas.

Well, as you can see from the picture, the trunk slipped some off the base, making it a little trickier. Plus, the top got hung up in some of the other trees. The man in orange was definitely brave to be cutting when it was in such a precarious state. They ended up pulling it down using their truck. You can also see how well my eucalyptus tree is doing now.

While they were there they also got some branches down that had been hanging down over the parking pad. They had been swinging in the wind and I knew they were planning to fall on top of some unsuspecting visiting vehicle.
Afterwards, my mom and I went to Lubrano's, in Morrisville. It was good. I had their spinach ravioli in pink sauce, which included six large ravioli pieces, containing spinach and cheese. I'm a big ravioli fan, so it's hard to go wrong there.

After that, we went on our search for a Fidelity Investment Center. It was foolish of me not to check with something other than my phone to make sure that there actually still was an Investor Center somewhere in this portion of the state. I later found out that the closest one is in Charlotte! They used to have one in Durham and Raleigh. We did get to explore a nice section of Research Triangle Park, though. Actually, I also found out today that Fidelity is planning to consolidate their centers and one is opening in the vincinity of where I was looking, sometime in September. Unfortunately, that's a little too late for dealing with my retirement rollover.

That night, I went to an Orange County Radio Amateurs meeting. That wasn't too eventful, but we had a good crowd.

Last night I went to the Durham FM Association meeting. Both JH and GM came, which was great. I was elected secretary, which is hopefully a good thing. The other newsworthy item was that it was decided that should start meeting somewhere other than an eating establishment, because Fuddruckers is just too noisy and we don't have a room to ourselves. So much for milkshake dinners, but I think it's a step in the right direction.

A couple of nights ago, I heard this weird scrabbling sound in the guest bathroom. I guess I have a mystery rodent, either in the attic or the crawl space. I actually called my parents and suggested that my dad might want to come over. That's the first time I've done that since I moved in over a year ago and I think that's pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment