Saturday, December 27, 2003

Uneventful, but Filling

We (my parents and I) went out to the Nantucket Cafe and Grill tonight. We probably go there more frequently than anywhere else, even though it's 17 miles from our house. As some people reading this (ok, I only know of one person reading this) know, my true desired occupation of choice is that of a restaurant critic. I love going out to eat although I'm not as eager as I used to be, especially after coming home from a long day at work. Since I'm still on vacation, I was more than eager to go. Nantucket is a rather casual place with a light nautical theme. There aren't any preserved fish hanging on the walls, but it is vaguely reminiscent of a restaurant you might find near the shore. In fact, the owners originally had a restaurant in the Boston area. I had a combo with fried clams and shrimp, which is accompanied by fries and cole slaw. The fries were rather crispy tonight, which was a treat. Now, I've only had fried clams at one other eating establishment, one of the IBM cafeterias. Needless to say, they are much better at the Nantucket. Regardless of whether they are fried or are in their rich clam chowder, their clams have no resemblance to the erasers that one normally associates with the word.

One of the features of the Nantucket that I like best is their sample cake. They always have a sheetcake available, cut into approximately 1 1/2" cubes. It's just right if you feel like eating something sweet after your meal, but you don't feel like bursting afterwards. I've never been that crazy about white sheetcake, but their sample cake is really quite good. In fact, I've only been tempted to order a full dessert once, in the gazillion times we 've been there since we discovered them.
Part of this is due to their gigantic portions.

For those of you who don't live in the Triangle area in North Carolina, I have a bit of angst to share. I have been trying to come up with a decent title for this blog. "Lenore's Blog" and "Lenore Ramm" are way too boring. I thought of using "Flying Spuds From Space", but this was rejected by one reader, because I used it in my early teenage years. "Grilled Eggplant" was also nixed. Perhaps "Eclectic Glob of Tangential Verbosity"? That's it!

No comments:

Post a Comment