Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Two Perfect Evenings

We have been having the most fantastic weather that could be imagined. After 75+ days of 90 degree heat, I was beginning to wonder if it would ever be nice again. It's been the perfect weather for leisurely enjoying a meal outside, too.

On Sunday, I was able to spend about five hours relaxing, eating and playing guitar on my friends' patio, in Durham. My friend's parents grilled chicken, veggies and bison burgers. The burgers were a real treat, since I don't eat beef. For me, the evening's culinary highlight was a salad that JA made with salad greens, mozzarella, fresh figs, watermelon and homemade balsamic vinaigrette. I had my first Mallomar for dessert. Apparently they only sell them up north during the fall, but they are very good and surprisingly light. For those who haven't seen them before, they consist of marshmallow and graham cracker covered with a thin layer of dark chocolate.

Last night, I got to spend the evening talking with friends over dinner at Piazza Italia. I hadn't seen them in a while, so we had so much to talk about. It was great taking advantage of the restaurant's outdoor seating for hours and it definitely made me appreciate the recent renovations at Brightleaf. We went inside to have our servings of gelato, each having two flavors in our "small" cups. I chose chocolate and orange this time. I didn't take any photos of my meal, because I couldn't resist ordering the Mezzaluna di Pesce again.

On one of these fine evenings, I hope my readers will take the time to relax and eat outdoors, too. Fall is such a beautiful time of the year, even before the leaves start to turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment