Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Back for Seconds: Blu

My friend, AN, and I were trying to decide where we should go to dinner last night and I limited our choices to places that at least one of us had never been before. I'd only been to Blu Seafood & Bar once before and I really liked it, so I thought her first suggestion was excellent.We shared two appetizers and a salad, which turned out to be just about the perfect amount of food. The citrus cured salmon, above, was very good. I liked the citrus flavor with every bite. It was served with mashed avacado on crisp pieces of toast. I put the salmon on pieces of their deliciously soft bread and it was lovely.I'd ordered the greens, tomatoes, feta, pita, shredded cucumber, mint and lemon vinaigrette salad before and, as I'd predicted, I thought we should order it again last night. It's just a perfect salad.We ordered the mussels, which were in a moderately spicy citrus broth. It was truly fantastic and we dipped our bread in the broth afterwards. There was enough left such that I debated whether I should take the few tablespoons of liquid home, but I decided it was too much trouble. Just the fact that I thought about it says a lot, though. Finally, we enjoyed the masterpiece that I'd been dreaming of trying ever since I was there in July. The chocolate fondue, for two, is decadence at its best, but I'm betting it's comparatively healthy as desserts go. It came with exquisite dark chocolate, pound cake, blueberries, strawberries, dried mango, bananas, dried papaya and thin slices of granny smith apples. I don't like raw bananas and AN doesn't like strawberries, so it worked out perfectly.
Overall, Blu impressed me even more this time than before. The service was impeccable and friendly. It's a great place to actually have a conversation, because the background noise is not excessive. Also, it was fun to chat with Chef Tim Lyons while we were eating, because we were seated close to their open kitchen. I hope to eat there far more frequently in the future. Once every couple of months is not enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment