Friday, December 14, 2007

Neomonde Bakery and Deli

I've effectively been quarantined since Wednesday night, so I haven't exactly ventured out into the world to have interesting experiences, much been less able to actually taste any of the food that I've been injesting. Fortunately, there are some things that I've been meaning to write about for a while.

Warning: The following information is not about Durham, quaint Hillsborough or Carrboro. It's about Raleigh. Please avert your children's eyes as necessary.
A few weeks ago, before going to the Carolina Designer Craftsmen show, I went to Neomonde Bakery and Deli, which is just down Beryl Road from the J.C. Raulston Arboretum. It's a cafe serving wonderful Lebanese food. They have another location in Morrisville, but I first started going to this original location many years ago. I didn't see the owners this time, but the gregarious brothers used to cheerfully chat with us each time we came in. They expanded this location since the last time I was there and I marveled at how much it had grown.

I came in eager to have a falafel sandwich and it definitely hit the spot.

We also split a spinach fatayer, which is a spinach, tomato, onion and olive oil filled pastry. It used to be one of my favorite meals when I was a teenager.
They have a wide array of desserts. This is where once I infamously said I would have "one bite" of a cream puff and I left just one bite for my Most Faithful Reader to eat. Fortunately, they don't sell cream puffs anymore or I would be likely to demonstrate my generosity once again. AE bought some halva, which is a dessert made from sesame seed paste and strangely reminds me of malted milk balls.
They've also always had a market area where they sell nuts, dried fruit, spices and all kinds of other cooking ingredients in large quanitities, for low prices.

No comments:

Post a Comment