Sunday, December 30, 2007

Cinnamon with French Toast

We made French toast this morning. I mixed up the batter and I thought that it was actually quite beautiful before I whisked the ingredients together. I'm just way too fond of yellow.

The recipe is a modified version from the 1964 edition of the Joy of Cooking. I'll put the additions in bold.

2 extra large eggs
pinch of salt
1 cup of milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp canola oil

Just whisk that all together, dip the bread in the batter such that both sides are completely coated and fry in a lightly oiled pan. I used sunflower bread, but French bread works nicely, too. Just about any bread will work, I think. The nicest thing is that the bread already has its own integrity, so the pieces are easy to flip. Even I can do it and I fried most of the pieces today, except for when my dad felt the need to grab the spatula or the tongs out of my hand and do it himself. That only happened maybe six or seven times, at most.
As you can see, I put maple syrup and no more than a quarter cup of cinnamon on top. I really like cinnamon.

No comments:

Post a Comment