Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Coconut Macaroons

I had to make dessert for a Halloween party at work tomorrow, so I decided to make my old standby. People literally beg me to make these, so it feels as if am constantly churning these out. They are extremely easy to make for something that tastes this good. Those of you who are nosey enough to look at the book will find that it was not a cookbook that I was reading while making these. My mom gave me the recipe and she has no idea where she found it over fifty years ago.

2 extra large eggs
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 package (14 oz) sweetened shredded coconut (I recommend Baker's brand.)

If you make substitutions, may your dog help you.

Beat eggs *slighty*
Add other ingredients.
Drop heaping teaspoonfuls on a well-greased (but not too greasy) baking sheet.
Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes or until lightly browned.

Don't beat the eggs for half an hour in an electric mixer unless you want to make glue. From my experience baking these the first time, the glue tastes pretty darn good anyway, even if it looks funny and it scares people at parties. Don't burn your finger taking them off the baking sheet, like I just did. I can't even blame my weird potholders, damn it. Ok, so my finger isn't even pink.

4 comments:

  1. I just realized on the way to work that I accidentally put vanilla instead of almond extract into this batch. They still taste good, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to ask about that. I have a pretty adventuresome palate, but I can't abide almond extract. What about some grand marnier?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've had them before with almond extract, though, haven't you? I actually can't even stand the smell of almond extract, but I like it in the macaroons. YB said she liked the vanilla better, though. Now that I've made the mistake, I'm willing to try anything.

    This is all because I somehow sensed that I was going to effectively say in my post that this recipe is unsupported if you make substitutions. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:38 PM

    grand marnier sounds like a good idea. Add more than the recipe calls for, though.

    ReplyDelete