Monday, October 08, 2007

The Best of Enemies

On Thursday night, October 11th, at 6pm, author, Osha Gray Davidson, and civil rights activist, Ann Atwater, will be speaking in the Griffith Film Theatre in the Bryan Center, on Duke's West Campus. Davidson is the author of the Best of Enemies, which is the account of the friendship between Atwater and former Exalted Cyclops of the Klu Klux Klan, C.P. Ellis.

Davidson's book was chosen as the summer reading material for Duke's class of 2011. I've been reading it over the past few days and have found it to be fascinating and extremely well written. The history is particularly interesting to me, having grown up in Durham, but I would imagine that, given the quality of the writing, it would interest those who have never even visited. Glancing at the pages left to read, I see that some of the people described in the book are still heavily involved in Durham politics today. In addition, having become an avid reader of Endangered Durham, it is easier for me to imagine the world Davidson describes in the book. I'm very grateful for Gary's incredible contribution.

I am definitely looking forward to Thursday night's program.

2 comments:

  1. I have family and other obligations tomorrow night, so i'm looking forward to reading your account of the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks, Lenore. I'm glad it has been helpful.

    GK

    ReplyDelete