Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Close Encounters of the Squirrel Kind

When I've been going out to feed the squirrels in the morning, they've been unusually happy to see me. If I talk to them, one of them will often bounce up and down and then head for the deck rail, where I put the seeds out.

They've been comfortable with getting very close to me. In fact, I'd say they are more comfortable than I am with the idea. I wish I could tell them apart so I could tell if I'm visiting with the same ones every morning.

I've been able to get some really sharp photos of them. Zoom in if you like fur and whiskers.

Look at those toes! Recently I sat out there for a few minutes and suddenly there were seven squirrels running around me. Somehow it's even more entertaining if they are just a few feet away than when I'm looking out the window. I just never know when they are going to decide to use me as a springboard during one of their acrobatic maneuvers.



Of course, I had to take some video, too. I'll be sure to take more if they start sitting in my lap.

5 comments:

  1. Squirrel!

    I love watching squirrels. One of my former office mates hated them. I never understood his problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just be careful. With all the rabid foxes running around Durham and Orange County, you don't want to get bit by any wild animals. They're super cute though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's true, Ginny. Even without rabies, I don't want to get bitten by wild animals. ;) Fortunately, it is extremely rare for a rodent to carry the disease.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:09 PM

    sure they will eat out of your hand but they will also bite the hand that feeds them if spooked for some unforeseen reason...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Worry not, this species rarely carry specific diseases although an animal bite is surely a reason for infection!

    ReplyDelete