Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Weird Week Fine Food

The last week or so was kind of weird. I spent a lot of the time working from home, because we had snow and freezing rain. There wasn't a tremendous amount of accumulation, but it was enough such that I didn't want to risk driving in it if I didn't have to. The good thing is that I experienced what it was like to be at home between Wednesday afternoon and Tuesday morning. I didn't get cabin fever. I didn't mind staying home at all. That's definitely a good sign.

A couple of days before the wintery weather, GA and I went to PS's house for lunch. She cooked us a wonderful Indian meal, which included melai kofta, samosas (potato and potato with cheese and jalepenos), raita, lentil soup, puffed rice snacks, puri bread, gulab jamen, and one other excellent dish. I haven't had such an elaborate homemade Indian meal since I was a little kid and now I'm old enough to really enjoy it. It was cool getting to see her house and meet her son. She is way more organized than I even want to be.

In other exciting news, I led a couple of education sessions at work. If they had been formal sessions for large numbers of people, there would have been refreshments available. I thought this was a perfect excuse to make brownies for the first time. I used the recipe on the back of the Baker's brand unsweetened baking chocolate. I am very happy with the way they turned out, because they weren't too dry or too mushy. The only thing that didn't work out quite the way I wanted was that I was supposed to drizzle semisweet chocolate in stripes on top. I decided that maybe chocolate chips would work, but even after two minutes in the microwave, they were the consistently of softened butter. I just put a dab on each brownie, which wasn't as pretty but it still tasted great. Overall, I think the whole thing was a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment