Thursday, June 28, 2007

Refreshing Cucumber-Mint Salad for an Indoor Picnic

We were supposed to take off from work this afternoon and have a picnic at a shelter in Duke Forest, but we had to cancel due to an impending thunderstorm. It was rather hot today, so that might have been a good thing.

I made a cucumber-mint salad, which I thought turned out well. I based it on parts of recipes I saw on the web, but it was influenced heavily by what I happened to have on hand. In lieu of the picnic, we ended up snacking on perishable goods (cookies can spoil within minutes, I hear) in the quasi-kitchen and the salad is almost gone, so I must not have been the only one. I thought it was pretty, too, but ironically, I didn't photograph it.

Here's the recipe:
6 medium sized cucumbers
1 cup (or so) of coarsely chopped fresh mint
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp olive oil
black pepper

I peeled and sliced the cucumbers and added the mint. I put the lemon juice, sugar, pepper and oil in a jar and shook it before pouring it on the cucumbers. I stirred it all up and put it in the refrigerator overnight, so the flavors blended quite a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment