Thursday, August 03, 2006

Wild Salmon Couldn't Drag Me Away

At the end of May and beginning of June, I had a pretty bad sore throat. I actually took a few sick hours from work. At that point in time, a huge percentage of people had come down with it or something similar. I put up my bio-hazard sign up on my cube to warn people. It was the sickest I'd been in about four years. That said, it really wasn't an awful cold, as colds go.

Around then, I started playing Wild Horses, by the Rolling Stones, on my guitar. It's rather fun to play, although I still find shifting to a B flat difficult. It's really my first attempt at a barre chord. It's such a great song, though.

The Duke University Library Staff Association hosted a luau out on the CI quad. They had a dunking booth and I unsuccessfully attempted to dunk one of our sysadmins, EL. It was a fun event, with lots of food and lots of people.

The next day, I went with AE, GM and we met KL at a euphonium recital, performed by a friend of theirs in the Durham Community Concert Band. It was in a Presbyterian church on 54, close to 751. The altar had these tall arched windows and the peak of the vaulted ceiling had several skylights and each skylight had two pieces of glass at 90 degree angles from each other. I liked the effect. We went to Southpoint afterwards and called JH, because we figured he might be there, too. He wasn't, but he and AJ met us at Firebirds Rocky Mountain Grille. Beforehand, we went to Barnes and Noble and I bought the metallic blue and leather blank book that I'd been coveting since Christmas.

At Firebirds, I made the mistake of ordering my sesame crusted salmon "rare". As regular readers will know, I like salmon sushi. This salmon, however, did not seem as if it were meant to be sushi, but it was certainly raw. I microwaved it for 2 minutes as soon as I got home, before I put it in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment